30 March 2013

A Vintage Cake Bake

One can never have enough recipes for a good cake.  Just lately this blog has had me lusting after Jane Brocket's Vintage Cakes recipe book.  The bakes that hold the most appeal for me are the tried and true, good old-fashioned basic sort.  Fancy recipes with lots of bother and hard-to-find ingredients don't really impress me; I just want something nice to feature alongside my cup of tea.

Thanks to Vanessa's baking skills and mouth-watering recipe reviews the marmalade cake was the first one I tried.  The Parsnip cake has been deemed her favourite but selling its virtues to my family is going to take some doing.  I turned out the finished product onto a cooling rack before setting out on a hike at the Royal Botanical Gardens with my husband and Deacon.  Leaving the house removes any temptation to drizzle the icing before the cake has had time to cool completely.

My icing turned out to be more of a glaze but as the cake is quite sweet it's not a bad thing.  My daughter asked if the cake would be disappearing as quickly as last week's pumpkin pie did.  I snapped back an indignant 'NO!'...what was she implying?  She snickered well into the evening as every time she came into the kitchen the cake was indeed going fast.  In my defence I yelled back 'it's only a single layer!'.  Then she reminded me that so was the pumpkin pie.

Another recipe in the book that caught my eye is for Parkin.  Has anyone tried it? 

11 comments:

  1. Your first sentence is do true. Just baked a lemon meringue cake today for lunch, and there's not much left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum! One of my favourites as it's just so light you can eat loads of it...then the sick tummy kicks in. Happens every time and I never learn - yet I can live with that!

      Delete
  2. I love parsnips! Please save me a piece, if there's any left? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried deep-fried parsnip peelings, Audrey? There was a sprinkling of brown strips next to my Coronation Chicken sandwich at the pub across the street from Jane Austen's house in Chawton. I had to ask and was duly informed...they were quite nice, in a 'light little nothing' sort of way. And I'll be sure to let you know how the cake goes over once it's been baked.

      Delete
  3. I've only had parsnip cake once and am not wholly convinced. But parkin is a favourite. Trouble is, Darlene ... it improves with keeping. Will you manage that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe states something unbelievable....five days, Mary! Bake it before leaving on a short holiday perhaps? I am intrigued and must think of this as an exercise in delayed gratification.

      Delete
  4. I planned to bake a cake tomorrow to take in to work on Tuesday & I have Jane's book so Marmalade Cake looks like the one I will make after your enticing review. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be popular and the cake will go fast! It certainly was a hit in our house; my husband has asked me to make another one, slice it up, and leave it in the freezer so he can have it every day with his lunch.

      Delete
  5. I've only baked the Simnel cake from this so far, it's proving to be very yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The parsnip cake has been a big hit in the allotment cafe! K x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, I entirely lost this new blog when you moved from your previous one. I had missed you dreadfully! I have this book and love it, the recipes aren't anything startling but the pictures are amazing.

    Verity x

    ReplyDelete