5 April 2013

Manet and Popcorn

Plopping down onto the sofa in our staffroom the other day I searched the coffee table for something to read while I topped up on yogurt and muffin.  A movie magazine really didn't look all that appealing with Robert Downey Jr. on the cover in the guise of a comic book hero but I flipped through it anyway.  I am so glad that I did!

Cineplex has been branching out in exciting ways.  Last year my husband and I were able to see One Man Two Guvs with James Corden on a Saturday afternoon at our local cinema.  Two trips to London and we couldn't get past the box office as tickets were completely sold out.  Filmed at the National Theatre it was almost as good as being right there in the audience and there were no worries about obstructed views or sitting behind someone a whole head taller than we are.

One of the many things I love about London is the culture and wealth of art.  I daydream about spending a whole afternoon of gazing at a mere handful of paintings instead of zipping through galleries like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland because the clock is ticking on my travels.  In a new venture, Cineplex is bringing an exhibit in London to me and it won't stop there, over the next few months two more exhibits will be showing at neighbourhood cinemas here in Canada. 

I have been spreading the word to everyone who crosses my path and hopefully the turnout will be such that head office will take note and give the culturally deprived even more.  In an age when digital downloads are reducing the number of people plunking down money for movie tickets I think this is a brilliant strategy.  Next week is Manet: Portraying Life and while it won't be the same without the tube ride, architecture, and stop at a Marks & Spencer Food Hall it will be the next best thing.


The Railway by Édouard Manet (1873)

4 comments:

  1. There is a film link to the Pompeii exhibition, too, Darlene - so maybe it will come your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed, Mary! I mentioned the exhibit to Roman and it's one he would really like to see as well.

      Delete
  2. In lieu of the real thing, here's a great new resource: Your Paintings, art owned by the nation (ours!).
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/

    If you get the chance, do catch Andrew Graham Dixon's series The High Art of the Low Countries
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rsfgd

    The first episode was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for taking the time to post those links, I really appreciate it! Persephone had a link on their website to the BBC paintings site and I did spend a couple of months digging around there but it has been once again marked as a favourite.

      Delete