14 April 2014

Elora Antiques and E. M. Delafield

Yesterday my husband and I took a drive out to Elora for their annual Spring Antique Sale, although, it was a first-time experience for us.  The skies were threatening rain but the temperatures were forecast to hit 22C and after one of the worst winters in recent history we were desperate to get out.  Anywhere!

We didn't have our eye out for anything particular but there was certainly lots to feast on.  One of the first booths we visited had a ladies WWII swastika-laden link bracelet and all sorts of images of 1940s Berlin went through my head.  The booth next door had a WWI sweetheart pin of miniature pilot's wings with happier connotations.  I would have loved to own it but it seemed such a shame to put something so precious away in a box for safekeeping and away from other appreciative eyes.  The Norwegian Bridal Casket pictured below is from the 1700s and meant to store items for a young lady's trousseau but...oh dear, the term 'casket'.  
 

 A few dealers had a supply of books and as one would expect they mostly covered various bits of Canadiana (not that there is anything wrong with that).  But then, as my finger trailed along the spines on one shelf I found this...


...a hard to find E. M. Delafield title (not that I knew that at the time).  It was priced at $3 so there was really nothing to think about.  It was published in 1939 and a first edition - unless it was a complete one off collection.  In any case, I was as pleased as punch with my new treasure.  The dedication made me laugh and have all the more affection for the author....

TO
Priscilla
although
SHE FOUND FAULT WITH ALL OF THEM
I DEDICATE
THESE STORIES

Once we had finished having a super time scouring through the rest of the booths we drove into town for something to eat.  Elora is Amish country so you can expect to find buggy parking next to car parks.  


Since going gluten and dairy-free last September it has been ever so slightly challenging at times when it comes to dining out.  My husband loves nothing more than a menu full of pub grub but I steered him towards The Desert Rose Cafe.  Its friendly staff, cosy kitsch decor and communal tables made for a delightful time spent with another couple who also happened to just arrive from the antique show.  The food was so delicious and the downtown so charming, no doubt we'll be back again soon.  

9 comments:

  1. What a find! I haven't even heard of that one - and for $3. Now admit it, you'd never have found it for that price on Charing X Road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fact, I've just taken an envious look on Amazon. £82!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eyes popped at that one too, Mary. Who knew?! I can only imagine that not many copies were ever printed because surely Charing Cross Rd would have seen a few come their way. Now if only I could find a copy of The View From Downshire Hill by Elizabeth Jenkins in some pokey, out of the way, antique market for a song.
      Delafield is out of copyright as of this year so watch for re-issues!

      Delete
    2. But reissues aren't the same!

      Delete
    3. Yes, they don't have 'goodness knows how old' biscuit crumbs buried deep in the spine. I could have been sweeping crumbs left over from WWII out onto my carpet!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on an incredible find. I have dreams about finds like that. Not just a figure of speech--I really do have those dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you play the game...'from where I stand now - how close am I to a book that would make me upside down with giddiness'?
      You're not alone, Scott.

      Delete
  4. Well done Darlene! I'm so pleased to see such a lovely book finding a good home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane, that's just the way I feel about it too!

      Delete