25 April 2014

Friday's Literary Feast

Quotes from The Virago Book of Food:  The Joy of Eating

KATHERINE MANSFIELD
1888 - 1923

Saturday:  This joy of being alone.  What is it?  I feel so gay and at peace - the whole house takes the air.  Lunch is ready.  I have a baked egg, apricots and cream, cheese straws and black coffee.  How delicious!  A baby meal!  Athenaeum is asleep and then awake on the studio sofa.  He has a silver spoon of cream - them hides under the sofa frill and puts out a paw for my finger.  I gather the dried leaves from the plant in the big white bowl, and because I must play with something, I take an orange up to my room and throw it and catch it as I walk up and down.

Journal


  'Still Life with Oranges' by George Hume Barne
(1912)

9 comments:

  1. Is this going to be a series? Please say yes. And now I want a cat named Athenaeum. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I was thinking about what to post between books and thought 'well, there's this book sitting on my shelf''...so I am going to share! And, oh to be your neighbour when you call your future cat in for the night. You're hilarious, Audrey.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hang around long enough and I'll roll it out in bits and pieces for you, JoAnn!

      Delete
  3. I second Audrey's request for a series of these quotes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan, Claire! Harriet has gorgeous paintings, you have libraries, and now the foodie stuff is all mine. See you next week!

      Delete
  4. I remember being very sorry having to return that book to the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem with it is the compelling desire to eat hot-buttered toast and drink tea all the while. What am I saying...this would be a problem, why? Stay tuned, Mary!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely quote, and the pic. That was not my Easter weekend, though I did read a fair bit. Not enough, but I never read enough! SD
    http://www.sandradanby.com/

    ReplyDelete