1 August 2014

Friday's Literary Feast

Quotes from The Virago Book of Food:  The Joy of Eating

RUTH REICHL

Formerly restaurant critic for the New York Times, Reichl is currently the editor of Gourmet magazine.

When Michael asked if I would bake a cake for his fortieth birthday party, I could not say no.  It was what I would have done for any friend.  But as I watched myself cream ten pounds of sugar into seven pounds of butter I began to understand what I was really up to.  My unconscious had taken over; I had made a decision.  The cake took rivers of chocolate and dozens of eggs, and by the time it was finished I needed four men to help me lift it into the car.
  Michael blanched when he saw my creation coming toward him.  This was more than a cake; it was a declaration of love in front of three hundred people, and we both knew it.

Comfort Me with Apples


2 comments:

  1. I love how she's brought out how expressive food can be -- things we make can say things that perhaps we cannot say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She had me at 'rivers of chocolate...'

    ReplyDelete