5 September 2014

Friday's Literary Feast

Quotes from The Virago Book of Food:  The Joy of Eating

HANNAH GLASSE
1708 - 70

FOR CAPTAINS OF SHIPS

 To make Catchup to keep twenty Years.

Take a gallon of strong stale beer, one pound of anchovies washed from the pickle, a pound of shalots peeled, half an ounce of mace, half an ounce of cloves, a quarter of an ounce of whole pepper, three or four large races of ginger, two quarts of the large mushroom-flaps rubbed to pieces; cover all this close, and let it simmer till it is half wasted, then strain it through a flannel bag; let it stand till it is quite cold, then bottle it.  You may carry it to the Indies.  A spoonful of this is to a pound of fresh butter melted makes a fine fish-sauce, or in the room of gravy sauce.  The stronger and staler the beer is, the better the catchup will be.

The Art of Cookery, Made Plain and Easy


4 comments:

  1. I think the 'room of gravy sauce' is my favorite place (I mean part!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snort* You make me laugh, Audrey! Who could resist a turn of phrase such as that - I ask you?

      Delete
  2. Blast it, I'm right out of strong stale beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that half of the early deaths from years gone by were really down to food poisoning.

      Delete