24 September 2014

The Women of Beaver Hall: Canadian Modernist Painters by Evelyn Walters

Wheeling a cart through the shelves at the library armed with pages of hold requests the font on a spine caught my eye.  Tweezing the book from its spot out of curiosity there was a painting on the cover that wouldn't be out of place on the Persephone Books website.  This beautiful book has come home with me with a plan to read up on these talented Canadian artists.

  Emily Coonan
Girl in Dotted Dress, c. 1923

Prudence Heward
At the Theatre, 1928

Henrietta Mabel May
Summertime, c. 1935

Lilias Torrance Newton
Lady in Black (portrait of Mrs. Albert Henry Steward Gillson), c. 1936

Lilias Torrance Newton
Martha, c. 1938

7 comments:

  1. Oh, so you're the one who does that! I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Otherwise known as 'going shopping', Audrey! I swear that sometimes people who love books make the worst library employees because we're constantly distracted by....well, everything!
    And it's lovely of you to share your appreciation for some behind-the-scenes tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful paintings! Just the sort of things I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they're definitely you, Simon! I love this style of art and particularly portraits so the book was a great find.

      Delete
  4. Canadian painters are almost unknown over here but there's an Emily Carr exhibition coming soon at Dulwich. In fact, somebody there must be keen on Canada because they had one on the Group of Seven a couple of years ago - which stupidly I didn't go to and now regret missing my chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone learns about Emily Carr and The Group of Seven in Canada at some point during high school art classes. The Groups landscape gets a bit 'same-y' for me after a bit but that's just because it's not my thing. Varley's portraits are gorgeous though! If you're ever in Toronto we'll go to the AGO, Mary. I'll show you around!

      Delete
  5. Oh these are wonderful. I especially love the Emily Coonan one. What a super find! xx

    ReplyDelete