24 October 2014

Friday's Literary Feast

Quotes from The Virago Book of Food:  The Joy of Eating

SYLVIA TOWNSEND WARNER
1893 - 1978

17 September.  I visited every counter of the domestic Woolworth, even to buying boot-polish, and refreshed myself with a sixpenny fish tea - plaice, of course.  Cheap low-class meals are such a pleasure, I wonder I don't take to chewing gum.

23 September.  We went by Guildford and beyond Alton lunched in a nut copse, talking about great aunts.  A delicious lunch: cold chicken, beer, pears and madiera (sic).  And midges.  The ash-trees.  Their green fronds so flatly distinct on a grey sky that they looked like transfer patterns on china.

Diaries


The Picnic by Edward Cucuel

2 comments:

  1. I am going to remind my nieces and nephews about the joys of eating in a nut copse, talking about aunts. I'm sure that will make perfect sense to them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contemplating a cheap, low-class lunch - all that the fridge offers today - and wishing I had chicken and madeira!

    ReplyDelete