9 October 2014

When You Least Expect It...


My husband and I had this past week off to take drives in the countryside, spend hours and hours reading, and take the train to Toronto for a nice lunch.  I was also looking forward to joining along in Margaret Kennedy Week by posting a review of Together and Apart.

In a ridiculously impulsive move on Monday morning my husband and I wondered what the living room would look if we removed the French doors, pulled down the drapes, and got rid of the dining room table.  And how about adding another bookcase to the living room?  We did just that, right then and there.

The past few days have been busy with going to and fro between paint stores and furniture shops as we mull over ideas and buy this and that.  Today is my birthday so we forced ourselves to make the effort to warm up some leftover meatloaf for lunch and if I want cake I had better hop to it!

I will be sharing my thoughts on Margaret Kennedy's book but later than expected.


12 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I've also just read T&A but my review will hopefully be in the next edition of Shiny New Books which is a few weeks away. I enjoyed it very much though & look forward to your thoughts. Are you as devastated as I am about the end of Home Front? I didn't realise they would take breaks. How will I survive until December for the next episode? Enjoy your birthday, may it last as long as you wish it to. I hope you receive lots of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! How rude of the BBC to reel us in like that only to leave us hanging for ages! You were in my thoughts, Lyn...we'll just have to soldier on in endless anticipation.
      And it just so happens that there are a few books but that's another post!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! The redecoration sounds very exciting! And hope you did have a slice of cake :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kristina! It felt a bit as though we were on one of those decorating shows that transforms a couple of rooms in less than a week but the results were worth the flurry. There was no cake but I've enjoyed a bit of pumpkin pie this weekend!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn! The view across the lake must be absolutely stunning this weekend!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday, Darlene! I love the way you're celebrating (except, can I have your old French doors?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Audrey! If you were my neighbour, or even in my country, I would be thrilled to pass them on to you!

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday, Darlene! Please show us the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sunday! The day couldn't have been less about me for all the work being done so the birthdays wishes here have been lovely. We're still searching for some hooks to hold back the curtain panels but I just might share a peek once it's all finished. Your stunning talents in the decorating department have me feeling massively inadequate though!

      Delete