21 November 2014

Friday's Literary Feast

Quotes from The Virago Book of Food:  The Joy of Eating

ISABELLA BIRD
1831 - 1904

We spent the afternoon cooking the Thanksgiving dinner.  I made a wonderful pudding, for which I had saved eggs and cream for days, and dried and stoned cherries supplied the place of currants.  I made a bowl of custard for sauce, which the men said was 'splendid'; also a rolled pudding, with molasses; and we had venison steaks and potatoes, but for tea we were obliged to use the tea-leaves of the morning again.  I should think that few people in America have enjoyed their Thanksgiving dinner more.

A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains


2 comments:

  1. I love these quotes -- keep them coming! I've read the book this comes from - wonderful stuff - Isabella Bird was such a heroine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's such a remarkable woman - and she cooks!

    ReplyDelete