9 December 2014

Eight Hundred Years of Christmas Dinner

I discovered iTunes U this past summer and have filled many hours while out walking the dog with fascinating lectures on all sorts of topics.  Yesterday, I listened to Annie Gray, a food historian, give a wonderfully entertaining talk on the history of Christmas dinner while I wrote out Christmas cards.

You don't have to download the iTunes U app as I've found a quick link here...

http://historicroyalpalaces.jellycast.com/node/61

Annie Gray also appears on the panel of The Kitchen Cabinet.  This BBC radio program can be downloaded as a podcast and never fails to teach me something about sublime flavour combinations, kitchen science, and what people around the globe enjoy as regional dishes.  The host is particularly witty so humour is definitely a side dish here.  Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Oh how perfect to listen to while writing out Christmas cards! Thanks so much. I will definitely be listening to both these programs. I love all the food talk, especially at this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the programs, Sunday! Being the consummate hostess that you are, The Kitchen Cabinet will give you all sorts of ideas!

      Delete
  2. Hadn't come across iTune U yet but will look into that with interest. I'm just delighted that Home Front is airing again (BBC Radio 4). I missed it so much when it was off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Claire! I used to download the omnibus but have since changed to the daily program. Have you discovered The Archers?

      Delete
  3. I was lucky enough to hear her speak on Georgian food this year as she was travelling around Australia lecturing - she really made it come alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You lucky woman! Annie is my favourite type of historian in that she has a sense of humour...no nodding off in her class.

      Delete