2 February 2015

Getting Stuck In...Literally


We've had snow all through the night and it's still falling this morning.  I can only imagine the shining faces and squeals of joy from children with their faces pressed up against their bedroom windows.  There's no doubt about it being a snow day.  My husband was pretty happy about it too!  He's out in the garage, firing up the snowblower to help a few neighbours clear a path...but for why?  No one is going anywhere today.


This means a glorious day of reading for me.  I'm on page 140 of The Moonstone and really enjoying it.  I chose this book for an impromptu read-along with people at work based on the fact that a) I really like Wilkie Collins....and b) lots of excellent reviews on a certain website that sells everything.  The first few pages full of Anglo-Indian history, rambling sentences, and flowery language were just fine with me but two colleagues have already chucked it in.  Their loss because while in the thick of a reading session yesterday I was dying for a cup of tea but couldn't put my book down; it's that good.  I've sent the philistines (with a smile) a link to the Masterpiece Classics version on youtube, secretly hoping it will inspire them to try the book again.  But, I did have a laugh the other day while tidying up a stack of magazines on the coffee table.  Opening up the October edition of Tatler, on page 151, there's a sidebar attached to an article...Ways To Cull Unwanted Friends and right at the top it says...Invite them to join your book club.  Oh dear.

I've been laid low with a cold these past couple of days so taking advantage of some quiet time I started playing around with my blog template.  Trying to figure out how to get the menu bar under the header and link pages took some doing but what a feeling of accomplishment when it all came together.  I want to say 'a fresh look for Spring' but it doesn't look anything like it here quite yet.

8 comments:

  1. That scene looks familiar! I'm laughing because after the state shut down for last week's two-footer our (brand new) governor has been reminding us that today's one-footer is just a normal New England snowstorm. That seems a little unfair, somehow, now that our expectations have been raised (or lowered...), and especially since they'll probably cancel school (but not work) tomorrow because the sidewalks won't be cleared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see the story on the news about snow days for students becoming a thing of the past? So many households have some sort of device these days that students can access their assignments online and email their answers. The poor things....
      Any my car doesn't come out of the garage in a foot of snow!!

      Delete
  2. Well, I got through the day with only 2 rounds of shovelling (east end Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember when Mel brought out the army?! Thanks again, Susan.

      Delete
  3. Love your new header and blog description! Just perfect. I loved The Moonstone and The Woman in White. Great books to curl up with on a cold winter day. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback, Sunday! It's nice to rearrange the furniture, so to speak, every now and then and learn at the same time.
      So glad you enjoyed The Moonstone but I must say, I wanted to slap Sir Percival in The Woman in White!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, that is a lot of snow! I'm glad we've not had it here, a day off work wouldn't be fun.

    I read The Moonstone at Uni, absolutely loved it, I hope you get more snow caused reading time for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the anticipation of a snow day as you watch the flakes fall...and fall...and fall. Somehow those days are meant to be lazy ones and because you don't do much they last, and last, and last.
      Thanks for letting me know you loved The Moonstone...

      Delete