26 May 2015

London...There and Back

All good things must come to an end but the memories are everlasting.  Although, I am hoping that by the weekend my dreams will no longer consist of passing throngs of people on narrow streets like a salmon struggling upstream or standing in train stations. 

London was full of things to see and do and with this trip being my sixth time over, I was able to tear myself away to enjoy days out in Bath, Cambridge, and Oxford.  A cool, misty morning was perfect for the short train ride to Dulwich to experience the Ravilious exhibit at the beautiful Dulwich Picture Gallery.  I shopped a bit, spent lots of time lazily browsing every bookshop I passed, enjoyed two London Walks, loved the Fashion on the Ration exhibit at the Imperial War Museum, went to see a film at the Odeon cinema in Leicester Square and a West End play.  The icing on the cake was spending time with my favourite blog friends on the other side of the pond.  It was baguettes with Mary, burgers with Rachel, and cake with Simon...and apparent from the first sight of a Patisserie-Valerie that my wheat- and dairy-free diet was out the window.  I was so happy to finally meet Emily in the flesh but not for nearly as long as I was hoping due to a silly mistake with my watch, and even surprised an unsuspecting Verity, who used to blog under cardigangirlverity.

The past few days have been spent unpacking, reassuring Deacon (my eccentric Border Collie) I won't be very far away, sharing stories and gifts, fending off jet lag by uncharacteristic napping sessions, laundry, and going back to work.  

Over the next few days I'll share some highlights and photos from my trip to London and look forward to catching up with your blogs.  Hope everyone has been well and enjoying the much-longed for changing of the season! 
 

Hatchards on Piccadilly

9 comments:

  1. Hatchards! I was there on my one and only trip to London. (At first glance though I thought that might have been the pile of books you brought home with you...) I'm glad you had such a good trip, looking forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't I just wish! Luggage allowance is a cruel, cruel thing so I was very restrained...that, and the thought of so many books on my tbr pile at home.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures & your book buying confessions (I'm sure there are some!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was heaven to browse in as many bookshops as I could find but I only brought five books home with me. I bought five just before leaving and one came in the mail so now my thinking is that some of the best browsing is to be done at my house!
      Home Front has started up again....

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry, HF lost me. I did try again but I just wasn't interested in the new people...

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Anbolyn, iCloud has been such a pain with my photos but I'm slowly working through it. Bear with me!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry I missed you!! It sounds like an absolutely wonderful trip, and I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing more when you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There will be next time, Kate! I have to thank you for your wonderful suggestions of things to see in Cambridge; that day was most definitely a highlight!

    ReplyDelete