13 December 2015

The Distillery District Christmas Market

I didn't mean to let my blog collect a bit of dust these past few weeks but every once in awhile it happens.  It's easily done during this time of year when we like to embrace the sights, sounds, and glorious smells of Christmas.  There's another reason, after the holidays I'll be working at another library branch location as part of a job rotation.  Since I found out that it was my turn to rotate, I've been working some shifts at the new location, as well as my regular shifts, to acclimatize and bond with my colleagues.  And wait for it....my next place of work has a fireplace!  It's one of those charming design features you don't see being added in budget-driven builds these days so I count myself lucky,

Attempts to read lately haven't been all that successful down to being distracted.  There were a few starts and stops until I pulled Nigel Slater's Toast from the shelf.  The episodic nature of the writing allows for busy-ness so I finished the book and will share my thoughts in a few days (I loved it!).


This is the third year my husband and I have visited the Christmas Market in Toronto's Distillery District.  Despite the fact that El Nino has caused us to have an abnormally warm December, the atmosphere is very, very 'Christmas-y'.


Swedish-style stalls line the cobbles with vendors selling everything from ornaments to jewellery, and all sorts of edible treats.  This photo was taken while we were inside a tiny bakery, crammed in a line-up along with others wanting to buy mince tarts and...well, anything featuring cinnamon.  Being a location known for its brewing history, the Christmas Market is also where you're sure to find mulled wine.  Perhaps I'm visiting the wrong establishments but it's not all that popular around here.


I have no idea who these people are, my intention was to get a shot of the lights, but don't they look happy to see each other?


No trip to Toronto in December is complete without a stop by the window displays at the Hudson's Bay store.  Those iconic striped coats say it all.


The faces of children as they stood in awe while the animated characters banged their forks and knives on the table is one of the best things about the holiday season.  I did bend to a bit of consumerism though and bought a copy of...


The cover is irresistible on this edition.  Looking at the contents page, one of the first stories that grabbed my attention is Tea by Saki....sold!  A great suggestion for any cosy readers in your life.

6 comments:

  1. I've just decided I need a separate wish list of episodic books for busyness, and these will be the first two books on it. The Christmas Market looks and sounds lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forget the mall! Being outside in the cool fresh air with a hot drink while carols play and people smile...it's absolute bliss.

      Delete
  2. A fireplace with a real fire? That sounds my kind of library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gas, Mary, but what a blaze! Grabbing the remote to turn it on and off does feel a bit like cheating...but hey, it looks fabulous. I should ask if there's any room in the budget for wood panelling....

      Delete
  3. Your trip to Toronto sounds lovely. And I agree with Audrey about episodic books for busyness. Great idea! I love Nigel Slater and find that most of his books can be read from beginning to end. His writing about food always sweeps me away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching him write and draw in his notebooks, he makes a shopping list look like art. Glad you're a fan too, Sunday!

      Delete