10 February 2017

Bookmarks for a Valentine and Other Nice Things


While scouting for a theme to dress up a display table at the library these bookmarks caught my eye.  In no time at all I made twelve and popped them into a mug in the staff work area with a note to help yourself.  They didn't last long!  The theme now gracing one of the shelves is 'Sweet Reads' decorated with a bunting of foam imitation sweetheart candies.  The large one saying 'Tweet Me' has disappeared but I can't say I'm surprised given it's a high school library.  Wonder who the lucky recipient is?


One of the nicest things about blogging is the opportunity to connect with wonderful people from all around the globe.  My post about Tirzah Garwood's compelling autogiography Long Live Great Bardfield led to an email from Kate Mears, an artist living in Somerset.


Kate humbly offered to send along a copy of her own book A Year Around Our House.  Each page features her cheery watercolours of their home throughout the seasons with charming handwritten notes describing events in daily life.  Caught in the depths of a Canadian winter, Kate's book couldn't have arrived at a better time.  I'm tempted to buy a watercolour set and try my hand but my attempts at anything so elegant can only end in disappointment....or a good laugh.  Kate's book is a fixture on our kitchen table and my husband and I are thoroughly enjoying it.


What is there to say about succumbing to the wonders of Hygge?  The photography, the recipes, the soothing colours....and support for what we booklovers know to be true, and that is that books (except perhaps Tolstoy) are most definitely Hygge.  I have to confess something though...I've had my eye on this book for a whole month before buying it in a most un-Hygge sort of place - Costco.  My apologies to Copenhagen.


And last, but surely not least, I've booked a trip to London for this summer.  At the top of my list is visiting every bookshop possible, going back to Cambridge, stroll around Primrose Hill, see a play or two and try my hand at mudlarking.

Planning a trip is half the fun so if you have a favourite spot to visit that's off the beaten path, please share!

4 comments:

  1. Doesn't this all sound lovely! And the bookmarks are brilliant.H Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're cheery, aren't they! The hardware store might put the red paint chips under lock and key next year.

      Delete
  2. A trip to London, how wonderful. I did my first solo trip last November and enjoyed every moment. Do you know london's hidden walks by Stephen Millar? Or the Quiet London series by Siobhan Wall? They might give some ideas for places to visit. I have the Quiet London Food Nd Drink book and found a couple of food places to go for a meal and a pint. TPL doesn't look like a worthwhile source but perhaps they could be got by ILL from somewhere else. I'll be in Cambridge and London for a few days each this fall do I will look forward to your reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your recommendations, Renata! The idea of travelling solo makes some of my friends nervous but London is a perfect place for it. It's nice to go at your own pace while in museums, galleries and bookshops. I hope your wait for London and Cambridge doesn't feel too long and hopefully my trip report gives you some ideas.

      Delete